Ode for St Cecilia’s Day, HWV 76
1. Overture: Larghetto e staccato
2. Overture: Allegro
4. Recitative: From harmony, from heav’nly harmony
5. Accompagnato: When Nature underneath a heap
6. Chorus: From harmony, from heav’nly harmony
7. Aria: What passion cannot music raise and quell!
8. Aria and Chorus: The trumpet’s loud clangour
10. Aria: The soft complaining flute
11. Aria: Sharp violins proclaim
12. Aria: But oh! what art can teach
13. Aria: Orpheus could lead the savage race
14.Accompagnato: But bright Ceciliarais’d the wonder
15. Solo and Chorus: As from the pow’r of sacred lays Concerto grosso in A minor, Op. 6 No. 4
16. Larghetto affettuoso
18. Largo epiano
Dunedin Consort / John Butt
Carolyn Sampson (soprano), Ian Bostridge (tenor)
Recorded during this year’s Misteria Paschalia Festival in Poland, Dunedin Consort’s performance of Handel’s Ode for St Cecilia’s Day sees them joined for the first time by tenor Ian Bostridge and soprano Carolyn Sampson.
• Bostridge demonstrates the technical mastery and vocal precision that has seen him win many of the major international record prizes in his twenty-five year career.
• Highly sought-after for her refined Baroque sensibilities and pure intonation, Sampson’s lyric soprano is ideally suited to Handel.
• Led by John Butt, with singers from the Polish Radio Choir, this rich and colourful tribute to music’s patron saint is the latest in their much lauded Handel discography, which includes Messiah, Acis & Galatea and Esther, each recording having won widespread acclaim.
• The recording is completed by Handel’s Concerto Grosso in A minor Op. 6 No. 4, in which Dunedin Consort’s exceptional instrumentalists take centre stage.
“They offer a dramatic immediacy of expression that scarcely any choir can match.” Choral Journal
“Handel's score abounds with remarkable beauty, however, and this performance radiates life and personality.” The Sunday Herald
“…what counts is its joyous spirit and the way it matches the
high level of Handel's inspiration.” Financial Times
Linn Records CKD578
|Release Period||October 2018|