KORNGOLD Die Tote Stadt. Klaus Florian Vogt, Camilla Nylund, Markus Eiche, Sari Nordqvist, The Finnish National Opera Chorus, Children’s Chorus and Orchestra / Mikko Franck. Opus Arte 2 DVD
Die Tote Stadt
Paul - Klaus Florian Vogt
Marietta - Camilla Nylund
Frank / Fritz - Markus Eiche
Brigitta - Sari Nordqvist
Marie - Kirsti Valve
Juliette - Kaisa Ranta
Lucienne - Melis Jaatinen
Victorin - Per-Håkan Precht
Count Albert - Juha Riihimäki
Gaston - Antti Nieminen
The Finnish National Opera Chorus, Children’s Chorus and Orchestra / Mikko Franck
Director - Kasper Holten
Recorded live at Finnish Opera, Helsinki, November 2010
Die tote Stadt may be better known for the lushly orchestrated lyricism of its music, but the psychological acuity of its exploration of grief and memory is no less impressive from a composer who was still 23 when no less than Otto Klemperer conducted the premiere in Cologne in 1920. Korngold's gift for a tune ensured that his star has hardly waned since then, though the opera is rarely staged: Kasper Holten's insightful and restrained production is a rare chance both to see and hear an opera of high emotional charge heightened by the dark cityscape of its title. A superb cast is directed by Finnish National Opera's artistic director Mikko Franck, who is celebrated for his impassioned interpretations of Romantic opera.
- Written when Korngold was only 23, premiered in 1920 (in Hamburg and Cologne)
– conducted by Otto Klemperer (Cologne), but rarely performed now.
- Korngold was a musical prodigy, hailed as a genius by Gustav Mahler.
- Korngold was acclaimed across Europe for his operatic and orchestral works. He moved to the US in 1934 and became one of the greatest film composers of the “Golden Age” of Hollywood.
- This production directed by Kasper Holten, now Director of Opera at the Royal Opera House.
- Features Klaus Florian Vogt as Paul, one of Germany’s leading tenors, and Camilla Nylund as Marietta.
- Extra features: Cast gallery.
‘‘...Kasper Holten’s splendid production ...’’ Opera
‘‘...I regard Die tote Stadt as one of the greatest operas of the first quarter of the 20th century and the Finnish National Opera’s production makes it stand out as a true masterpiece, scenically and musically ...’’ Seen and Heard International
Running time: 151 minutes
Sound format: 2.0LPCM + 5.1(5.0) DTS
Opus Arte 2DVDs OA1121D
|Video||<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nAUpl8nLmqs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>|
|Release Period||October 2013|